Tuesday, October 16, 2007

To Quit or not to Quit

I need some parental advice........... so the High School is putting on "Annie get your gun" They needed 4, 5th grade girls and 4, 5th grade boys to be extras in the play. So Malory was really excited and decided to try out. She was chosen as one of the girls and before she even tried out we had to sign a form saying that if she was chosen we would attend a mandatory mtg on the 8th of Oct. and that we would agree to the kids making all of the rehearsals etc. (at that time not knowing even when rehearsals would be) So we go to the mtg on the 8th to find out that she will end up missing 4 volleyball games and the kicker..... They have a dress rehearsal on Halloween. Well, Malory was kind of bummed about it at first but decided that this would be a fun opportunity and we signed in forms etc. saying she would be involved. So she goes to her first rehearsal tonight and comes home completely upset saying that she wants to quit. Her reasons being that they are only bringing them on stage like 2 times, they aren't even singing or saying anything, they are sitting in the hallway the rest of the practice getting yelled at if they even say 2 words, her so called stage mama isn't even helping her, it isn't anything like they said it would be, they now have a mandatory practice on a Sunday and she feels that it is not worth missing volleyball and especially Halloween. So, my dilemma, do I let her quit or not? By the way she said if I didn't let her quit then next practice she would get into her bed and I would have to drag her out to get her to go. She is in all honesty pretty upset.

14 comments:

Muriel said...

I don't see it as quitting. She has other things that she committed to first and I definitely don't like the Sunday rehearsal thing (or Halloween) for that matter. I have seen the play and yeah, the kids aren't a major part at all. Basically just scenery. If she still really wanted to do it, then that would be one thing, but personally, I wouldn't feel bad about letting her "quit". And just think, now it's one less thing for you.

JennyW said...

I'm with Muriel. Especially with having the kids sign the forms before they gave them the schedule--you can just argue that she had prior commitments that she can't break and that she wouldn't have signed in the first place if she'd been given the chance to see the schedule. And that when she signed, you couldn't imagine that they would have such obviously conflicting dates on it, like a Sunday and a national holiday.

Being in a play can be so much fun, but it really sucks to just be sitting there the whole time and still be expected to come to all of the rehearsals and just sit there being quiet while other kids have fun. But instead of telling her you're leting her "quit," try talking about it um ..., how about like you're proud of her for trying something new and also proud of her for knowing her limits in what she can commit to (women, and mormon women in particular, have this huge superwoman complex where they feel they have to say yes to everything). Learning to recognize when the commitment isn't worth the trade-off is a good skill to learn.

Ok, end almost rant.

jenn w said...

Some "stage mama!" I dont see it as quitting either. More importantly than church----you cant let her miss volleyball! (Kidding, but you are talking to EWHS 1990 girls volleyball team MVP)And plus, you cant go on a Sunday. That would be setting a worse example than quitting anything. And the halloween thing? Take her ooot!

apyknowzitall said...

Being the evil "I let my kids play soccer on Sundays as long as it doesn't conflict with meetings-playoff game excluded" mom that I am, I say go ahead and let her give it up. Reinforce that you're proud of her for recognizing her priorities. I don't think it would be a big deal for them to find another piece of scenery. If they do pull a neurotic soccer mom move on you, then well... I wont tell you what I would say:)

kellie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kellie said...

I say let her quit. Mallory is way too awesome to just be scenery. Take her impression of the old goat in that one movie...you know..the goat that has to sing everything. She does that so well. Those losers don't know what they are missing, except maybe Halloween.

P.S. I deleted the previous comment, I wanted to fix my spelling mistakes. Can't have a preschool teacher making too many spelling mistakes, you know.

jenn w said...

Actually, it was WHS before we merged with EWHS, but who cares. Im still a champ at volleyball. I updated my blog just for you darling!

sandi said...

Thanks all for your input and comments I really appreciate it. Sometimes we need confirmation as mothers that we are not making some really bad mistake that will change our children's lives forever! you guys are the best!

darce said...

I hope you let her quit, Sandi! That is completely crazy.

sandi said...

update: we did let her quit and haven't even felt guilty about it at all!

kellie said...

Right on!!!

Natasha Hawkins said...

Glad to hear it. NO guilt is good!

kellie said...

Everytime I see your post title, I think it says...To Quilt or not to Quilt. I think there is something wrong with my eyes.

sandi said...

definitley not going to quilt!! hee hee funny!